Drury Lane Theatrical Productions is excited to announce our 2023 Young Artist Competition. Drury Lane supports and encourages promising young artists from Burlington and surrounding areas by offering them the chance to win $500 and to perform as a soloist at our yearly Awards Gala in June.
- The competition is open to young singers who will perform a musical theatre song from a staged Broadway musical.
- Applicants can be a maximum of 21 years of age at the closing date for applications. There is no minimum age requirement, however, only candidates 14 and under will be considered for the emerging artist award.
- Junior Division: 14 and under (as of April 6th, 2023)
- Senior Division: 15 – 21 (as of April 6th, 2023)
The 2023 competition will award:
- A First Place Winner, who will perform at Drury Lane Theatrical Productions as a soloist during the 2023 Awards Gala, receive a prize of $500 and be acknowledged on our website and social media.
- An Emerging Young Artist Award (From the Junior Division) who will receive a prize of $300 and be acknowledged at the gala, on our website and social media. Possible performance may be offered.
Please ensure you have met the following conditions:
- Choose one song to perform that is from a staged Broadway musical (this does not include songs from Disney Movies unless they also appear in a staged Broadway musical. Ex: The Lion King).
- Please choose age-appropriate material.
- Do not include songs that have long dance breaks/instrumental sections.
- Accompaniment can be either live accompaniment or backing track.
- Costumes are not required but encouraged. Props must be minimal and be carried on and off by the performer. The performer may use a chair/stool.
Application Process – Deadline April 6th, 2023
Using the Application Form, please submit a video recording (via Youtube link, Google Drive, Dropbox etc.) of you performing your piece with piano accompaniment or backing track.
Step 1: Fill out the Application Form by April 6th, 2023
Step 2: Send a non-refundable application fee of $20 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the password of youngartist
The name of the competitor must appear in the comment/message section of the e-transfer so we can connect it to each performer.
How the Competition works:
- Fill out the registration form, pay the fee online and upload your video.
- All applicants will receive written feedback on their performance & further coaching should they make it into the Top 20 or Top 10 performance nights.
- The Top 20 candidates will be chosen to perform on April 21st at 7:00pm at Drury Lane Theatrical Productions. Tickets will be available for purchase for family and friends of the competitors at Drury Lane. That evening, 3 adjudicators will choose the Top 10 who will proceed to compete again the next evening, April 22nd at 7:00pm. A first and second place competitor will be chosen that evening.
- *If you are selected as part of our Top 20 or advance to our Top 10 performance evening, you can choose to bring an accompanist with you or provide the backing track in either an mp3 or mp4.
- NOTE: All competitors who are chosen to perform in the Top 20 will need to attend a technical run-through at Drury Lane Theatre between 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Friday April 21st, 2023. This will give performers the chance to get familiar with the space, run through their song and feel supported by their fellow singers!
Deadline for submission is April 6th, 2023
Performers chosen to compete in the Top 20 will be notified via email by April 10th, 2023.
Inquiries can be emailed to: mailto:email@example.com